STOP. THE. PRESSES!
Holy cow. You are never going to believe this. Ready?
The Kindle Library Lending program will integrate into your existing OverDrive-powered ‘Virtual Branch’ website.
Your existing collection of downloadable eBooks will be available to Kindle customers. As you add new eBooks to your collection, those titles will also be available in Kindle format for lending to Kindle and Kindle reading apps. Your library will not need to purchase any additional units to have Kindle compatibility. This will work for your existing copies and units.
Wow. Of course we open the door to an entire new group of users.
Quick breakdown for you:
If I were to purchase duplicate copies today for the week, here's what the costs would be:
- Another eBook title for each 6 patrons waiting: $640
- Another Audiobook title for each 10 patrons waiting: $1015
- Total for duplicates: $1655
- We have at most $2600 to spend, leaving us with at most $950 for new audiobook and eBook titles.
- Audiobooks cost $40-95 each.
- eBooks cost $7-25 each.
- Oh, and it's only Wednesday. By Friday the reserve list will be higher.
And this new development opens our collect to the popular Kindle device.